Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trail Ride!!

Today is the first time in the two years I've owned Rusty where I took him off the farm for a "real" trail ride. I'd not been able to do this before because I don't own my own trailer or a vehicle that will pull one. (I LOVE my Honda Civic but it will not pull a horse trailer.)

My friend Pam (cool name, huh?) has a trailer and she takes her horse, Jordy, out a lot. We'd decided earlier in the summer to do a ride together but her truck broke down. She told me we'd go when her truck got fixed. She e-mailed me to say her truck was fixed and we set up our ride for today.

So, today I got to the barn early and finished all my stalls before Pam arrived. We got our horses ready and loaded up and were off! Rusty loaded so well! He went right in the trailer like we do this every week. We went to Oak Ridge Forest Preserve which is about 20-30 minutes away from the barn.

What a beautiful place! Pam and I rode for almost two hours through woods, by streams, and around fields. Despite a couple of sprinkles, we had the most wonderful weather to ride in! The next time I go, I will take a camera. The scenery was lovely! We met other people out on horseback, too. Rusty was so well-behaved! No spooking or bolting. He was a little keyed up when we first unloaded at the Preserve but after I did some figure 8's at the walk and trot, he settled right down. This was an unfamiliar place to him and so doing some familiar exercises helped a lot.

Jordy is a Missouri Fox Trotter and has the neatest fox trot. It looks like so much fun to ride. The fox trot is like a running walk. It's an easy gait and Jordy can go along for quite a while without getting tired. Rusty and I trotted right along beside Pam and Jordy on the wider stretches of the trail. In the woods we went single file up and down hills, around curves and over culverts. The trail is well-maintained. There were a few muddy places, but it was mostly dry with very good footing. There is even a place where riders can cross the river into Deer Run Preserve.

I appreciate Pam taking us along today! I also have to thank God for helping me get the chores done on time and for the beautiful day we had! Now that I've been out, I'll want to go again. If not before the cold weather sets in, then next summer.

No comments: