Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cold Weather's Coming!

Well, it's time for bundling up for barn work again. Thermals, down jackets, hats and headbands, and especially GLOVES! Our recent rainy weather has left us some soggy horses. But I think we are more bothered by the rain than they are.

Today I finished cleaning my stalls and went out to get Rusty. Wouldn't you know he'd be lying down in the mud!! YUK! His whole right hind leg was wet mud! His belly was mud-covered, too. My friend Denise saw him and laughed. She told me that her horse, Eddie, used to love to lie in the mud, too. She said he would get so muddy, he'd look armor-plated! Mud from ears to tail! We both had a good laugh at that. I remember Eddie, who's in Heaven now, and he was quite a character! Anyway, at least the area where the saddle goes was relatively clean. At least he didn't roll! I did a "cowboy grooming" and took him out to ride.

We rode in the indoor arena. Pretty soon that will be the only place where we can ride without freezing. I'm very grateful for a big indoor arena. By springtime, though, it will be awesome to be outside again.

All the colorful leaves have dropped now for the most part. Doug and I raked the back yard after I got back from the barn today. Our big maple in the back has finally almost finished dropping its leaves. It's one of the last trees in the neighborhood to lose its leaves. So, 26 stalls cleaned today, a wonderful ride, and raking. I'll sleep well tonight!

No comments: