Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lessons

I had a wonderful riding lesson today. This is especially significant because I had a frustrating session during Centered Riding this past Monday. We were working on leg position. Marie has a delightful little exercise in torture where the rider (me) moves each leg up, out and back at the walk and trot. Arggh. This is a difficult exercise. I have never been very limber even when younger and so I have a hard time with this.

Anyway, I worked at the exercise grumbling under my breath all the while. Marie told us that it took her a year before this became easier for her.

The next day, while at my job, I heard someone on WMBI talking about the challenge of working through a difficult problem whatever it may be. I got to thinking about my "up,out,back" difficulty. This is a challenge that, if I work at it, will help me become a better rider. Time to stop grumbling and start working.

The result of my change in attitude was a great lesson with Rusty and a new-found respect for my instructor. She knows what I need to learn to be the best rider I can be. If I take her instructions and advice to heart, I'll be on my way.

It's like that with the Lord. He knows what I need to be the best I can be. I will take His instructions to heart and learn from Him. As I put into practice what He teaches me, I'll grow and become more like Him.

1 comment:

Davnkaty said...

Well said. I have to keep reminding myself that as well. I am an expert grumbler.