Sunday, April 26, 2009

II Kings 24:4

Today in my Bible study I finished reading II Kings. Israel has already been exiled to Assyria. Now it's time for Judah's last days. While I was reading, a passage hit me between the eyes! II Kings 24:4 says "For he (Manasseh) had filled Jerusalem with innocent blood, and the LORD was not willing to forgive." (NIV, emphasis mine) Doesn't that almost sound blasphemous? Our Lord not willing to forgive?

Then I remembered that this happened before the Crucifixion of Jesus. The sins of the people of Judah were so bad God wouldn't put up with any more. There was no atonement through Christ.

How blessed we are because of Jesus! He took my place so I can have forgiveness. He took your place so you can have forgiveness, too. Isn't it wonderful to know that God will never be unwilling to forgive those who call on the Name of His Son? This means that there is nothing I can do to EARN forgiveness. I can never be good enough or righteous enough to rate forgiveness on my own merits.

When we do sin, we have an advocate with the Father. We can ask for forgiveness and receive it because of what Jesus has done! Jesus stands before the Father for me and says, "Father, forgive her. She is Mine." Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: